Utah - Life Elevated
Bottom of state seal Home Complaints Registrations Buyer Beware Consumer Information Contact Us

What do I do if I am a victim of Identity Theft?

Do the following:

  • File a police report with the local law enforcement agency where the crime occurred or with the police or sheriff's office where you reside.  If the agency refers you to our office to file the report or tells you that they don't take those cases, you may need to respectfully request to speak with a supervisor who will take the report.  Remember, if you are the victim of identity fraud, you are the victim of a crime!
  • Notify creditors, in writing, of the fraud.  They may require you to sign a fraud affidavit or provide a police case number.
  • Notify credit reporting agencies of the fraud.  You should review your credit report for fraudulent entries so that you may challenge them and have the entries removed from the report.  Go to www.annualcreditreport.com for information about receiving a free copy of your credit report.
  • Cancel any accounts that suspects may have access to or change the account numbers.  Be certain that your financial institutions are aware that you may be a victim of identity fraud so that they may take appropriate action to prevent additional crimes from being committed.
  • Report the theft to the Federal Trade Commission.
  • Report the theft to the Utah Attorney General's Office if you are a Utah resident.
  • Be patient!  Identity fraud crimes are generally quite complex and require extensive time and resources to solve.

Click here for more information on identity theft.


Department of Commerce  |  About Us  |  Public Notices  |  Press Releases
consumerprotection@utah.gov  |  160 East 300 South   Salt Lake City, Utah 84111  |  Phone: 801-530-6601  |  Toll-Free: 1-800-721-SAFE  |  Fax: 801-530-6001
Utah.gov Home | Utah.gov Terms of Use | Utah.gov Privacy Policy | Utah.gov Accessibility Policy | Translate Utah.gov
Copyright © 2017 State of Utah - All rights reserved.